Friday 1 March 2019

DFI Core Business

Time to reflect and share with colleagues

  • What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

The history of Manaiakalani is interesting and gave greater understanding of how the innovation is creating greater success in teaching and learning. I identify with how we might empower our learners as they see their voice is valued and powerful. I am forming a stronger understanding of blended schooling improvement and digital learning.


What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?
  • To link this Professional Learning to the STP's for TAI
  • Use of google groups as a tool [better privacy] -Groups.google.com
  • Omnibox! I never knew it was called that! It can also help you locate a doc.
  • Quick location of open tabs
  • Use of Drive -new learning -folder permissions
  • Investing in learning by giving time to the importance of teaching children routines in using Drive docs, just as you would in traditional classroom. Eg. In Drive -Begin in the folder you wish the doc to be filed in. Name the doc using your initials and a title. Using one doc for all writing with a Table of Contents with date is an excellent idea. Children are readily able to locate any writing easily.

  • What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  
    • Teach Command shift V when copying and pasting
    • Use of Voice Typing - More opportunities to read -greater mileage.
      • Make part of Daily 4 in Literacy Rotation
      • A brainstorm activity
      • Finding the nouns/adjectives/a sentence you really like and why.
      • Explanations
      • Read your own writing / self editing help?
      • Adding to a doc -shared story. 
  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?
That with small steps and open minds we can create exciting digital learning opportunities for our children. My confidence is improving with each small tip to contribute to bigger ideas. It gives you a deep understanding and empathy for how some children can find some learning challenging when faced with your own challenges.


4 comments:

  1. Robyn, I love your disposition of "small steps and open minds", and well done for throwing yourself into the learning pit today. It sure is interesting to put ourselves in our learners positions for a day. Learning is tiring (but fun!) work.
    I'm pleased that you got so many little takeaway tips today! See you again soon. Stef

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn, thanks for this feedback and highlighting the aspects that resonated with you. You definitely have a lot of ideas to immediately implement in the classroom. I look forward to hearing how they work out in your context.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn
    like you I certainly spent time in the learning pit and now I look forward to making those new skills a part of how I operate.
    Knowing that we are a part of Manaiakalani's history is also very special. I look forward to being in the pit alongside you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Robyn,

    Thanks for sharing your learning and tips - this blog post will be rewindable learning for you to go back to if you forget. I like the way you appreciate the power of the small things as they certainly add up to big things.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.